Cienfuegos is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cities on the island. Its bay, considered one of the best stock bays in the world because of its size, draft and security marks the life of this city in the south of Cuba.
Why visit Cienfuegos? Founded in 1819 under the name Fernandina de Jagua, it is the only city in America that was designed and built by French settlers under the Spanish crown. This peculiarity makes it the most Frenchified city in Cuba. A reason that more than united to other many make of Cienfuegos a city of obligatory visit:
- Its Historical Center was declared a Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO in 2005. It is considered an architectural jewel because the neoclassical style prevails among its buildings.
- Lajas, one of the localities of this province, is the birthplace of Benny Moré, the Bárbaro del Ritmo.
- The bay of Cienfuegos is optimal for nautical activities such as sailing, rowing and yachting. The good management of the port area means that the bay of Cienfuegos is considered an ecological bay.
- In the Cienfuegos coast, there are more than 30 dive sites that delight the visitor with their seabed. It is in one of them where is the Notre Dame Coral, 8.6 meters high, the highest in Latin America.
- The natural benefits close to the city of Ciengfuegos complement the attractions of this destination: the niche, the Botanical Garden, the Hacienda la Vega, and the Guanaroca Lagoon among others.