If you mix white Havana Club, with lemon juice, some leaves of hierba buena, a teaspoon of sugar, water or soda, cubbed ice and bats, you are in presence of the famous Cuban Mojito. But as some friends who do not live on the Island have told us, it is very difficult to find Cuba the real hierba buena, which is the main component for giving the original taste to this cocktail, preferred by the writer Ernest Hemingway. In addition, drinking it in Cuba adds extra value to the drink, providing it with new emotions that transcend the peculiar flavor and make it an unforgettable experience.
Here we suggest you a list of some special mojitos that we recommend you to enjoy during your visit to Havana.
- Live the experience of drinking a Traditional Mojito in La Bodeguita del Medio: Hemingway’s favorite place to drink it every time he was in Cuba. (Empedrado Street No. 206, Old Havana)
- Enjoy the Mojito with Swing: the cocktail that important Cuban and international artists drank in the Terrace of the National Hotel.
- An Urban Mojito in the Chanchullero will take you through places and flavors far from the usual tourist centers. (More info at: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/aug/09/best-bars-restaurants-havana -trinidad-cuba-bed-breakfast-owners)
- A different flavor you will discover near the calm waters of the Almendares River, if you ask for a Pineapple Mojito at Rio Mar. (3rd and Final # 11, La Puntilla, Miramar)
- “The Mojito, the wolf, the forest and the new man” is an example of how Cubans remember some of the scenes of the famous Cuban film “Strawberry and Chocolate” in La Guarida restaurant, which was the place where several of the most dramatic scenes of the film (418 Concordia, Centro Habana).
- Feel with the Mojito in the Clouds that everything is possible, when you reach the highest place in Havana, La Torre restaurant, in the Focsa building, just ask for it and enjoy it. (Calle M corner 17 Vedado)
- A different experience is to take a Mojito Underground in the basement where the Sangri-La bar is located. (Ave 25 corner 42 Beach)
What is the best mojito? Undoubtedly the one that you will enjoy while visiting this magical city. No matter where you decide to take it, its flavor will always give you pleasant sensations. Enjoy it!